Founded in 1966 by “Grupo Brenno Pacheco Borges”, Castanhal was set up with technical and financial support from Fábrica S. Luiz Durão S/A (Rio de Janeiro) and Jutifício São Francisco S/A (São Paulo), companies within the group, with activities in the jute industry since 1950. It started producing in September 1968.
In 1972 it ordered a new and complete spinning and weaving unit to James Mackie (Ireland), doubling its production. Around the same time, already consolidated in the segment, the company invested in social development with the construction of a great club to the employees and a primary school with capacity to accommodate 500 students – sons of employees, their relatives and the community.
In 1985 Fábrica S. Luiz Durão S/A was incorporated by Castanhal, thus increasing Castanhal production capacity in 30%.
In 2004, Castanhal purchased Cia Jauense Industrial’s machinery, increasing and improving its production capacity with the most modern and effective machines.
In 2011 it invested in the enlargement and modernization of its factory, reaching the current production capacity of 16.000 tons of jute fabric a year. In an area of 699.651 square feet, Castanhal factory has a constructed area of 269.096 square feet, with most of it destined to the industrial area and inventory.
Currently, Castanhal produces jute shopping bags for packing coffee, potato, cocoa, Brazil nut, peanuts, among other products; natural and color cloth for different purposes and applications; yarns and other jute materials.